Braces for Adults in Orlando, Florida
While some people in Central Florida may think braces for adults are unusual, the American Association of Orthodontics estimates that adults comprise more than one-fifth of all orthodontic patients. This is partially due to modern and advanced braces technology, which allows for more discreet and rapid treatment. As a result, adults in the Orlando area can be less apprehensive about any stigmas they may associate with adult braces. After all, it is never too late to have a healthy and confident smile.
What to Expect with Braces
Some older “Orlandoians” may find it more difficult to adapt to braces than children or teenagers do. Patients considering braces for adults should be sure to conduct adequate research to be prepared for what to expect. The primary adjustment will be getting used to the sensation of the braces in the mouth, as well as the pressure and discomfort that may come along with it. These sensations are a natural by-product of the teeth shifting from their original positions.
Adults with braces may also need to acclimate themselves to the following:
- Difficulty chewing certain hard or crunchy foods after the adult braces are first applied
- The sensation and appearance of food becoming lodged in the braces (except with invisible braces such as Invisalign)
- The sensation that the teeth are becoming loose, a natural occurrence which will diminish with time
- Changes in teeth positioning, such as new gaps between teeth, which will also diminish with time
Types of Braces for Adults
There are four main types of braces for adults. When choosing adult braces, patients should consider a number of factors, such as duration, visibility, and comfort. Certain types of braces for adults each have specific strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, one particular type of adult braces may be more suitable for a patient’s requests and expectations.
The four main types of braces include:
- Traditional metal braces, the most noticeable type that include metal brackets and wires
- Ceramic braces, with clear or tooth-colored brackets that are less noticeable
- Lingual braces, which are applied to the inside of the teeth so they are not visible to others
- Invisible braces such as Invisalign, available as removable clear, plastic aligners similar to mouth guards
Clear Braces for Adults
Clear or invisible braces such as Invisalign are a common choice of braces for adults here in the Orlando area. As indicated by the name, invisible braces are significantly less noticeable than other types of braces. For adults who are not fond of the idea of having braces, invisible braces may be ideal. However, invisible braces are best for certain conditions which should be discussed during an orthodontist consultation. For example, invisible braces are not recommended for patients with bite issues or severely rotated teeth.